Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wish You Were Here


Randy feels very strongly about digging the grave for the people that he loves.  I guess he feels like it's the last act of service he can do for them- more personal than having a stranger with a backhoe dig a hole.  I think that it's a very tender, loving thing to do, and I'm glad that he's the kind of a man that would think of doing it.  
We went through the flower books and chose every flower we could find that reminded us of wildflowers you would see in the high, mountain meadows of all our favorite camping and hunting places.  Jake made the saddle for Kim this past Christmas.  It has a big 4-leaf clover on the seat.  Kim called it his "lucky ass" saddle.  Jake branded Kim's -L brand behind the stirrup and on the other three corners.
  In the background you will see a beautiful setting of grassy river bottoms, with the Bear River curving around in a big horse shoe bend, cuddling the land in an embrace.  That land and those cows are Kim's.  If you could look to the north, you would see his barns, corrals, his parent's house and the home where he and Shelley lived, loved  and raised their family for 26 years.
I love this picture.  This is Shelley with Tyler's Tristan and Riley.  Sadly, she doesn't have as much access to these two kids as she would like. These moments are so precious.
 Trying to explain eternal principles to a little boy who doesn't get much exposure to those kinds of things.  It's heartbreaking that Riley knows that other children  live with his Dad, while he has to wait for a rare weekend.  He loves his dad so much and Tyler is a good father.

This is my cowboy.  I don't know how it's possible, but he is infinitely more precious to me today than he was before last Thursday. 

6 comments:

Sorensen Family said...

I talked to mom and dad last night, she told me they had a nice time seeing every one. I wish we could have been there to see all of you. The pine is beautiful! Mom told me about the saddle :) Tyler and I got a good laugh out of that! Mom said Randy, Dad, and all the kids did a good job and that Wes played a song for them. I thought it was verry nive for Wes to join them via phone. We send all of our love! Love you guys. We can't wait for the fun in Panguitch!

Shaylyn said...

Very well said. It was a wonderful funeral and beautiful resting place. I wish he was here, though.

willisle said...

For all those who where not able to attend or did not know him, I love this man as much as I have ever Loved any one. I'll be missing you!

Sharrie LeFevre Nelson said...

Willis and Randy both talked at Kim's funeral and did so good. There's such a huge hole in our family right now. Randy went with Shelley today to see about life insurance, medical insurance etc. She can't get his social security until she's 60. Hopefully the life insurance will be fairly simple to get.

Leslie Garbanati said...

Sharrie, You never fail to touch my heart. I feel like you have been there for me in so many ways and I never seem to know what to say to hold you up. Your words, the pictures and the SONG all are so fitting. While I didn't know Kim, I know what kind of a man he was through your words and devotion. Your family is amazing. Your Randy is so thougthful-what a kind act he performed-not one just anyone could do. Thanks for sharing your heart and your love and your family. You are a special gift to all those around you. I always count you twice when I count my blessings. My heart and prayers are with you and your family.
Love You!

Denece said...

Everything was so fitting for Kim. Everyone did a wonderful job with their memories and tributes. We don't know what the future holds for any of us. Hopefully we will be doing the very best that we can each and every day. We were all able to reflect on those who are so dear to us and the memories that we make with them, they are what we have to look back on for comfort, Love you all