Friday, February 25, 2011

Incarceration and other ship-board activities

This is the view of the world when you are quarantined for 24 hours on a ship. It gets pretty boring. You read, then sleep, then watch a movie, then organize the closet, stare out the window then read and sleep some more. It was ignorance that got me in this situation.My stomach had been unsettled on and off during the week. I had taken all the over the counter meds that I had brought and I couldn't seem to get on top of it. I missed dinner the second night due to what I thought was sea sickness. One day I'd start feeling good and the next I'd be off my feed. I didn't let it slow me down but after a week of this I started to get nervous about the long plane ride home. I decided that I would go to the doctor to get something stronger. So I went down to the hospital floor and waited to see the nurse. I described my complaints. She had me fill out a very detailed description of every thing I had consumed since embarking on the cruise. Are you kidding me? Cruising is all about the 24 hour buffet, pizza and ice cream on demand and trying new and daring foods of different lands. (I don't recommend turtle soup). Eventually she arrived at the conclusion that I had an ordinary stomach bug. She gave me some capsules to take and told me that I should be fine by tomorrow, but I was being placed in 24 hour quarantine just to be safe. Ships are very paranoid about this sort of thing. Luckily Randy was free to come and go but I was to stay put until released.

This was my world for a l-o-n-g time. I now have more empathy for AIDS victims, lepers and people unfairly incarcerated in prison. And with people who are looked down upon or discriminated against for any reason. It was a learning moment. Next time I think that I will just tough it out, be very vigilant about hand washing- especially when life takes me through three major airports, numerous taxis and courtesy busses and three different flights in one long day. Anyway, the extra sleep and the break I gave my digestive tract did me good, because the pills worked and the next morning I felt great. But that is another post.
Bernie, Utahna, Sharrie and Randy in the Princess Theatre waiting for the show to begin. There were two big production number shows, one about the British invasion of music during the 60's and one featuring classic love songs. They were both full of singing, dancing and costume and scenery changes. I loved them both!
Dressed up for dinner.
Dressed up on a different night. Ching, ching!

Close-up of bloodshot eyes and sun burn. If you have cruised before you know that there is something to do every minute of the day and into the night aboard ship. Every evening our steward placed the following day's newspaper, the Princess Patter (cute, huh!) on our bed so that we could plan the next day's activities for when we returned from the day's tour. Our ship had an outdoor movie screen where a movie was shown every night and different concerts were broadcast throughout the day when we were at sea. I saw a year's worth of movies! There was also a really good magic act, the production shows and many other activities like Bingo and egg launches. There was also a pretty good house band that was playing somewhere on board every night. I love music so we usually ended up wherever the band was playing. I learned how to play shuffle board and rummy too.


No comments: