Monday, March 21, 2011

Holes In The Floor of Heaven

Today was Grandma Julie's funeral service. She died March 15 in Las Vegas, surrounded by her loving sisters and brother. She had been there since January, and I think that when she left, she knew that it was probably for good. She was a neat lady- full of life and fun and love. She and Grandpa Verle moved here five years ago to be near the little boys. I'd say that that was a perfectly good reason to uproot yourself and start from scratch! She was the same age as the boy's Grandma Great, but she had energy to spare- up until a year ago. Then life and bad health started to take a toll. The boys will always remember the trips to D.I. for a shopping spree, making popcorn balls and trail mix, riding and showing horses. Grandma Julie was never concerned with the state of her carpet or what the food the boys were helping make would taste like or how clean their hands and faces were. She was always concerned about letting the boys experience as many activities as possible. When I came home from school today I saw Dixon and Jackson up on the waterfall garden with a length of rope dangling from a stick. There was a red rag tied to the end and they were dipping it into the fetid waste water in the pond. My usual reaction would be to yell out the window, "Boys- stop doing that, you'll fall in and the water is gross." Then I though of Grandma Julie's response. She'd laugh and comment on their cleverness. I never did yell out the window.


Daddy and Dixon were pall bearers. Grandma Julie would get a kick out of that.


It's never easy to loose someone we love and who has played such an important part in our lives. A big hole is always left that takes time to heal and fill in other ways and by other people. But if we have spent time with that person, we will always have those memories to help us heal, and we know that the love we shared lives on. Grandma Julie will always be a part of our lives.


No comments: