Sunday, February 22, 2009

New Stuff at School

This is the latest project we have put together.  What the kids thought would be a one period deal turned into five full class periods because they have a mean teacher who won't accept trash.  They were given an info sheet which outlined the entire history of the Minoan and Mycanean Greeks from start to last gasp.  After reading it they took turns "drawing" for a paragraph, which they had to read and distill into an illustrated one sentence summary.  I made them do rough drafts, which I had to approve, before I gave them their precious piece of card stock.  They really had to think to get 10 sentences down to one main idea.  It was fun to listen to them argue for one idea over another. Yea, there are a few run-on sentences, but so what.
Ah, yes.  A might Hoplite soldier.  These girls swear up and down that they didn't trace, but I'm suspicious.  Seems I saw this picture in a book.
This is supposed to be the blind bard, Homer, recounting the tales of The Illiad and the Odyssey to a group of Mycaneans, but it looks to me like Richard Pryor  doing stand-up at the Apollo.
Here the Minoans row their trireme to the island of Crete to start a civilization.  I think that is a flock of mermaids  splashing in the background.
Landon and Nick tried to get away with  drawing a floating bull on a white piece of paper.  After harassing them for a good period of time, they figured out how to draw an arena.  I love the expressions on the faces of the crowd in the background.
I swear- I changed the spelling of "witch" to "which" on their rough drafts.  I even gave them a hard time about it.  Oh well, I'm not their spelling teacher.  I love the clothes and the setting.  They managed to incorporate every facet of Greek geography.

2 comments:

Shaylyn said...

This reminds me of my social studies student teaching experience in your class. I worked so hard to plan and organize those little books but when I got up there to explain and demonstrate what they were supposed to do/draw, I didn't have a clue! I loved teaching math...social studies was a nightmare!!!

Daedre said...

Thanks for the pictures, I got a good laugh out of your narrations!